Saturday, January 19, 2008

New to Group 2



Well if Dave is going to play show and tell, so am I. My name is George and I've recently re-activated my love/obession with music/electronics. Not going to give my age but i'm old enought to know better.
I live in Victoria and I decided to build a modular, something I always wanted to do. Analog electronics is having a huge resurgence these days, so it seems like the right time.Here's some shots of my fledgling modular. I went with frac format to keep the size down and while there is some issue with getting my fingers to the knobs, I can live with it, 'cause you can pack a lot of noise into a small space.
No cabinet yet, just some rack rails to hang things on. Modules built so far include PAIA Midi2cv8, Thomas Henry VCO and ADSR, both rock, an EFM VCO and VCF, both junk, VCO doesn't track and VCF has limited cutoff, motto: stay away from EFM stuff, poor service and docs and they don't seem to work too well. Also a couple of utility modules, a multiple and an attenuator. I have lots more to go with a Thomas Henry Super Controller and MAnkato filter in the works.(I like T.Henry stuff as you can tell).
The EFM power supply works ok, but a simple p/s is easy to build, I just went with them for the distribution board, which provides 16 power connections for modules.
I have spent at least the same as Dave, so figure on spending double what you thought if you decide to join the madness. If you do, you will find it very rewarding to build and fiddle/troubleshoot a module and you will always be able to fix it in the future and have a good idea on how it works.
I've included a pic of the Klee sequencer panel that has been a pain to get right. I'm going to give it one more go, if that fails, on the backurner it goes!

George

5 comments:

Moog$Fool$ said...

oh man that's nice!!
coming along very well.
i even like your choice for rack set-up, very economical.

i'm sold on Frac also!!
do you plan on any Blacet kits?
also, don't for get about CGS, some of those can be built into Frac.

hope the Milton comes together.
you might wanna speak to that Bruce Duncan of Modcan, i think he's out in Montreal??? i fairly cetain he builds a Milton for one of his 2 lines.

good job with the faceplates!! did you paint them yourself?

Darren

Moog$Fool$ said...

oops!! pardon the bad grammar in the first comment.

i just went back to your post again & i realize, yes!! you are painting them & that's the problem with the Milton. probably not anything to do with the circuit??

i guess that's aluminum you are trying to paint? it can be real tough but not impossible. i've had some luck in the past & i expect the faceplates that i'll build will not be too much of a hassle??

d.

george said...

Hi, not sure what you mean by "MIlton". The lower pic is of the panel for a Klee sequencer I'm building. All panels are .063" aluminum, primed and painted with automotive paint (a major pain to do), then I design the layout in Front Designer and apply to panel with Lazertran paper. I then bake the panel in an oven and get pretty close to a silked screened panel. I have mixed results with this technique, with about a 20% failure rate, the Lazertran sheets are finicky to apply. If it goes wrong, then I have to clean off the panel to bare metal and start again. There is a product I might switch to ID Mark photosensitive sheets, with this you can also get a balck finish with silver lettering for a Moog/dotcom panel look.
I will probably do some CGS and MFOS stuff in the future, but I have about 12 PCB's waiting to e built first, and a couple of things I what to design and build, like a delay/re-trigger for an ADSR.
It's fun, just got to fine the time to do some music!

George

Unknown said...

Nice. Very professional. I have always wondered about getting printing like that done DIY and the Lazertran paper is good to know about.

Keep up the good work everyone :)

Moog$Fool$ said...

oops!! AGAIN.

sorry about the Milton flub.
i meant Klee. the Milton seems to be a slightly more common seq., that's all.

d.